The Brock Talk

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Moss Keeping Options Open With Zenyatta

(From July 22)
Jerry Moss, owner of undefeated champion Zenyatta, said July 22 that he has not made a decision on the mare’s next destination after her try in the Aug. 9 Clement Hirsch Stakes (gr. I), but he reiterated that he still wants to do “something different” with the rest of her 2009 campaign.

Zenyatta, who is perfect in 11 career starts, has already repeated in the Milady and Vanity Handicaps (both gr. I) at Hollywood Park, and will also attempt to take the Clement Hirsch for the second straight year at Del Mar.

Though Moss did not commit to racing the 5-year-old daughter of Street Cry outside of California or in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I), both of which have been bandied about, he did hint that she could race somewhere in between the Clement Hirsch and the Oct. 10 Lady’s Secret Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita, a race she also won in 2008 while prepping for the Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic (gr. I).

“There might be something for her between the Clement Hirsch and the Lady’s Secret,” Moss said. “There’s two months between those races. But we haven’t made a decision past the Clement Hirsch. I don’t want to be mysterious about it, but we’re really just taking one race at a time.”

Moss admitted that losing out to Curlin for Horse of the Year honors in 2008 was disappointing and that he would “like to get it for her” in 2009. He also said although he would like to see a match-up with Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) and Preakness (gr. I) winner Rachel Alexandra, he would not take Zenyatta out-of-state just to make that happen.

“It would be a great race,” he said. “We have great appreciation for that filly and everything that she has accomplished. The race would resolve a lot. But it’s our position that the Breeders’ Cup is where those kinds of challenges are resolved. We didn’t decide that the Breeders’ Cup would be (at Santa Anita) again. We ran at Churchill Downs with Giacomo in 2005 on a speed-favoring track, and we were there with Tiago in the swamp at Monmouth Park (in the 2007 Breeders’ Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge, gr. I).

“Jess (Jackson) is entitled to his opinion. It’s his horse and we respect his decision to do what he feels is best for her. “
Jackson, majority owner of Rachel Alexandra, has already commented that he would likely not bring his filly to this year’s Breeders’ Cup because the main track is composed of a synthetic surface.

When asked if the Sept. 12 Ruffian Handicap (gr. I) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park might be an option for Zenyatta, Moss indicated that race would be unlikely. If Moss should choose to run Zenyatta against males while keeping her on the West Coast, the Sept. 6 Pacific Classic (gr. I) at Del Mar could be a viable option.

No comments: