The Brock Talk

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Not My Best Derby Day

After suffering through food poisoning last night, I awoke when I heard my wife saying from the living room, "I Want Revenge is scratched." I have tried for weeks to try to find the horse to keep him out of the Derby winners' circle, only to be trumped by a sore ankle. Top that off with the fact that in order to hit my $12 trifecta, I've got to hit a cold exacta on top with Pioneerof the Nile and semi-longshot Hold Me Back.

Because I was still recovering, I slept through what I think is coverage by the best broadcast team in horse racing on ESPN with Kenny Mayne, Randy Moss and Jerry Bailey. Further angst.

Once the NBC telecast started, the satellite signal began to sputter. We caught the race but not much else because shortly after the race, the storm that had given us viewing problems had converted the Dallas Cowboys indoor training facility into an outdoor training facility with rookies, free agents, staff and coaches inside. Local NBC affiliate cut to that coverage moments after the horses crossed the wire.

One saving grace however, is that jockey Calvin Borel won his second Kentucky Derby in three years. He is one of the most pleasant and genuine people I've ever had the pleasure to know. His agent, Jerry Hissam, ranks very high on my list of folks as well.

So now what do we have ahead of us? The gr. 1 Preakness Stakes of course and let the questions begin about the legitamcy of Mine That Bird. It's a good thing he's a race horse, because he wouldn't win any halter events with his looks.

But he is of course, the winner of the Kentucky Derby. And for that he deserves our respect. Just how much he gets will be reflected in the media during the next two weeks and on the odds board at Pimlico Race Course as they load for the Preakness.

I'm looking forward to blogging about it.

No comments: